Health and Safety Program Development
BCL will develop a comprehensive Health and Safety Management System for your organization. This service is designed to address site-specific issues and risks to ensure both regulatory and safety association requirements have been met.
The following elements are considered essential for an employer to earn a Certificate of Recognition (COR) through the WCB’s Partners in Injury Reduction (PIR) program:
- Company Policy and Management Commitment
- Worker Qualifications, Orientation and Training
- Hazard Identification and Assessment
- Hazard Control
- Ongoing Inspections
- Emergency Response
- Incident Investigation
- Program Administration
Development will include:
- Initial meeting to review facility
- Corporate Health and Safety Manual(s)
- Employee Handbook (EHB)
- Corporate Communications
- Document Residence Binders
- Perpetual Safety Calendar
- New Hire Orientation packages
- Incident Reporting Folders
- Introduction sessions for employees
- Health and Safety Committee Training
- Management and Supervisor training
- Accident Investigation training
- Hazard Identification, Assessment and Control training
- Review sample of Hazard Assessments
Health & Safety Committee & Supervisor Training
Recent studies have shown that 98% of all workplace accidents can be prevented!
One of the best ways to reduce costs associated with accidents is to prevent them from occurring. BCL will help your organization establish a Health and Safety Committee and provide ongoing support and advice. By providing staff and employees with the understanding of their roles and responsibilities, your safety program will be more effective.
Upon completion of the course, participants will know and understand:
- The importance of health and safety
- Manager, supervisor, worker and committee responsibilities
- The elements of an effective Health and Safety Program
- How to complete accident investigations
- How to identify and prioritize hazards and make recommendations for their control and elimination
- How to complete a workplace inspection
Accident & Incident Investigation
Finding out what happened and what needs to be done to prevent a similar event from occurring is critical. Through this service, BCL is able to train or assist supervisors in completing their investigations. Our unbiased, independent approach ensures the “root causes” of the event are identified. Recommendations are also made to prevent reoccurrence.
Upon completion of the investigation, a formal report will be provided for accurate record keeping and future follow up.
This service takes approximately four hours to complete, depending on the complexity of the site.
First Aid Training
Beyond an employer’s moral obligation, Alberta’s Occupational Health and Safety Act is very specific regarding First Aid requirements of every employer. The Act establishes minimum standards only. Many employers realize that this is not enough.
In partnership with St. John Ambulance, BCL is pleased to offer preferred rates to our clients. St. John Ambulance training will ensure you receive high quality training from certified instructions that will meet federal and provincial regulations.
WHMIS and TDG Training
WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Material Information System)
The Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act states that all employees who are required to work with or in close proximity to “controlled products” must be trained in their safe storage and handling.
BCL will provide training for those in your organization who require certification. We are also able to provide individuals within your organization with the knowledge and understanding to serve as an Onsite WHMIS Coordinator, thereby ensuring continuous compliance with the Act.
Training can be arranged at your worksite, or at an off-site location.
TDG (Transportation of Dangerous Goods)
All truck drivers who carry dangerous goods must be trained and certified. This also applies to individuals who handle or ship dangerous goods.
BCL will ensure that all appropriate employees receive the necessary training for compliance with the regulations of the Act. Training can be arranged at your worksite, or at an off-site location.